And “team” was exactly the word for it, as Daniela Pallotta, Duino Aurisina's mayor, pointed out: «We reached this goal because we worked as a team, there's a shared drive with all our Città del Vino FVG. We're a big family of people and local administrators who love their territory – said Pallotta – Our land can offer stunning landscapes in a few kilometres: from this beautiful castle to the Karst, the paleontologic site, the Regional Natural Reserve of Duino's Falesie, the Timavo river and the red soil dug out of the “doline”. And wine making in the Karst is hard». Hard but worth it, as Roberto Filipaz, vice president of the FVG section of AIS (Italian Sommelier Association) stressed: «20 years ago our wines were considered at the bottom of the heap. Now, they're the cherry on top of our excellent wine production».
Actually most events are designed to promote local wines, especially native varieties such as Vitovska and Terrano. «It's the result of a two years' work – said Massimo Romita, Duino Aurisina vice mayor – We engaged also towns that aren't part of Città del Vino's network yet, and for the first time we teamed up with the national network Città dell'Olio (Cities of Olive Oil)». Tiziano Venturini, head of Città del Vino FVG, said they aspire to involve even more organizers for the three main events during the summer: «Last year there were 21 municipalities and more than 250 local winemakers, now we hope to raise their number to at least 25 towns and 300 wineries». He also talked about wine tourism in the region and the project of educational grape-harvest to attract more wine lovers. Angelo Radica, president of the national network Città del Vino, was also in attendance at the ceremony.
Vitovska and Terrano, a white and a red wine respectively, are two among the most distinctive Friuli Venezia Giulia's native vine varieties. And being Duino Aurisina Italian City of Wine 2022, local winemakers will seize the opportunity to strengthen the presence of these extraordinary wines in every bar, restaurant, osteria or wine bar all around Friuli. Stickers are being distributed among all the businesses adhering to the initiative, so that wine lovers will be able to immediately identify where to find Terrano and Vitovska, and stop by to sit and have a taste of good, local wine. More events are on the way: producers from Italy, Slovenia and Croatia will gather to showcase their wines in a festival devoted to Terrano, "Terranum" in April 2022, and "Mare e Vitovska - Vitovska by the Sea" in June 2022 (see full program below).
Duino Aurisina and its multiple DOC wine areas
The reason why Duino Aurisina was chosen as Città Italiana del Vino 2022 is clear. Despite being a small town, it's a unique centre around which gravitates 14 wine areas, comprising 7 DOC (Denomination of Controlled Origin) areas and strecthing on three countries: Italy, Slovenia and Croatia. A very peculiar wine territory, extending on a thin 50 km-long stretch of land squeezed between the Carso mountains and the Adriatic Sea: tiny but full of vineyards and different vine varieties. After all, wine growing in the Carso area dates back to Roman times: when legions conquered these lands in the II century b.C., local agriculture and economy were already focused on winemaking (and olive oil too).
Here grows a long string of good DOC wines, starting from the Doc Aquileia, Friuli-Isonzo, Collio goriziano, Friuli Colli Orientali, Friuli-Annia, Grave and Lison-Pramaggiore, DOC Carso or Carso – Kras, Venezia Giulia I.G.T. in Italy, to Slovenia with its Carso or Kras productions, Brda, Vipaska Dolina and Slovenian Istria, and finally Croatia with its Istria wine area extending up to Buje, Novigrad (Cittanova) and Savudrija (Salvore). Vine varieties range from local ones like Malvasia Istriana, Glera, Refosco, Terrano and Vitovska to Cabernet Franc, Traminer, Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio and Bianco, and more.
- 73th Friulian Wine's Regional Festival & Wine Competition and Exhibit “Bertiul tal Friul” – March 19th, Bertiolo (UD)
- Terranum and Alpe Adria's Native Red Wines, April 2022, Duino Aurisina
- Olio Capitale – Italian EVO Oil Expo, March 13th -15th, Trieste
- From Prepotto to Prepotto: Karst and Friuli's Oriental Hills connected by a wine-naturalistic route, from limestone to “ponca” (the typical Collio's terrain, a mix of limestone and sandstone), Spring 2022
- 1st “Bollicine e Formaggi” – Sparklings and Cheeses, April 2nd - 3rd, Duino Castle
- “Osmizzando”, events at osmize in the Karst, from Easter up to Christmas 2022, Duino Aurisina
- Sagra del Vino – Wine Festival, April 22nd – May 2nd, Casarsa della Delizia (PN)
- “Bollicine sul Golfo” – Sparklings on the Gulf, May 2022, Trieste
- Wines Festival, June 17th – 21st, Corno di Rosazzo (UD)
- Merenda nell’Oliveta – Tea-break in the Olive Grove, May 29th
- Meeting in Prepotto: Schiopettino, tradition and culture, from May to June 2022
- Gran Premio Noè – Noè Grand Prix, in May and October/November 2022, Gradisca d’Isonzo (GO)
- 89th Wines Regional Fair – June 9th - 12th in Buttrio (UD)
- Un calice a teatro – A Glass at the Theatre, from June to August 2022 in many towns around Friuli
- Festival Vini Gusti in Musica – Festival Wines and Flavours in Music, from June to August 2022 in many towns around Friuli
- Mare e Vitovska in Morje – Vitovska by the Sea, June 24th -25th at Duino Castle
- Events in villas and mansions in Sequals (PN), June and July 2022
- 4th “Malvasia in Porto – Malvazije v Pristanu”, Malvasia by the Port, in July and August in Muggia (TS) and Sistiana Bay
- Fish Very Good, summer 2022 in Duino Aurisina
- Calici di Stelle – Stemwares of Stars, August 1st - 10th in many towns around Friuli
- Festa di San Rocco, mare e Carso in piazza – Saint Rocco's Day, Sea and Karst in town, August 12th - 16th
- Festa dell’Uva – Grape Festival, September 2nd - 4th in Cormòns (GO)
- “Il vin i tale cjases di una volta” – Local wines' tastings at the '900 Museum in Sequals (PN), September 2022
- “Calici in Piazza: vele bianche e pesce azzurro” – Stemglasses in town: White Sails and Bluefishes, September 23rd - 25th
- Le radici del vino – Wines' Roots Festival, October 7th - 9th in Rauscedo di San Giorgio della Richinvelda (PN)
- “Sapori del Carso – Okusi Krasa”, Karst's Flavours, October 15th – November 5th
- “Festival Carso&Mare – Krasa&Morja”, Karst&Sea Festival, October 2st - 23rd
- Calice d’Autore 2022 – November 2022, Capriva del Friuli (GO)
- Festa d’Autunno e di San Martino – Autumn Festival and St. Martin's Day, November 11th - 13th
- European Day of Winetourism: “Wines without Borders”, November 12th - 13th
- Città del Vino's Autumn Convention, November 17th - 20th
About Città del Vino network
The national network Città del Vino started in 1987 in Siena (Tuscany) and it's now made of 500 members all over Italy: cities, provinces, regions, parks and institutions from territories strongly and historically linked to winemaking. The main goal is to help developing a sustainable and more effective wine tourism. The Friuli Venezia Giulia section Città del Vino FVG counts 33 members, 29 of them are towns all around Friuli Venezia Giulia, plus four Prolocos: Casarsa della Delizia, Buri Buttrio, Mitreo Duino Aurisina and Risorgive Medio Friuli Bertiolo.
Photos taken from Duino Aurisina – Devin Nabrežina Città Italiana del Vino 2022's and Mayor Daniela Pallotta's official Facebook pages